1. one of a group of superstar female beings who uses her feminine wisdom and supernatural powers to heal the collective consciousness and create good in the world.
2. a woman who pursues causes and concerns with passion, unconcerned about challengers and naysayers.
3. a woman who is courageous, gutsy and dares to live her truth.
4. a female who emanates love, beauty, and grace just by showing up.
My intention in creating Goddess of the Week is to make women and their great work more visible. Goddess of the Week is just a start to my efforts in promoting women. I’ll be adding new elements in the coming months. Stay tuned.
Presenting the GODDESS OF THE WEEK …
Christiane Northrup, M.D.
OB/GYN, visionary, author and international speaker for women’s health and healing
“I’ve spent the first half of my life studying and footnoting everything that can go wrong with the female body – and figuring out how to fix it. I’m dedicating the second half of my life to illuminating everything that can go right with the female body, including teaching women how to truly flourish.”
— Christiane Northrup, M.D.
- I have chosen Christiane Northrup as Goddess of the Week because by living her personal truth, she is helping women reclaim their power as sexual, sensual, soulful and spiritual beings!
- Christiane Northrup is healing women around the world. While trained traditionally at Dartmouth Medical School and Tufts New England Medical Center, Christiane found the courage to speak up and voice the knowledge that was coming to her through her intuitive wisdom. Combining her expertise as a classically-trained physician in Western medicine with her feminine intuitive healing wisdom, she became an advocate for looking at women’s health from a whole person perspective (as opposed to a mechanistic perspective). In the mid ‘80s, she co-founded the Women to Women health care center in Yarmouth, Maine, which has become a model for women’s clinics nationwide. These clinics are devoted to healthcare for women, by women and combine alternative and conventional medicine. The work at these clinics is focused on the underlying causes of a woman’s illness, rather than simply treating the symptoms. It is based around the premise that many physical health problems have their roots in a woman’s mental, emotional and spiritual bodies as well as in her lifestyle choices. Thus when a woman changes the basic conditions of her life that have led to her health problems, she heals faster, more completely, and with far fewer medical interventions.
Christiane’s groundbreaking book, Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom, hit the stands in 1994. Over 1.4 million copies have been sold in 16 languages. The book has empowered women around the world to understand their health from a holistic standpoint of self-awareness. It has given them the tools to actively heal themselves. Additionally, she has broken the taboos of conversation around natural processes such as menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause, providing women a space for self-acceptance, compassion, and ownership of their unique and beautiful feminine bodies.
In 2000, Christiane published The Wisdom of Menopause, which has been changing the dialogue about menopause and radically changing women’s lives. No longer do women feel their feminine life is over when they hit 50 or thereabouts. It’s actually blossoming! She debunks the stereotype of menopause being a frenzy of hot flashes and mood swings. Instead, she proves it to be a time of incredible creativity and wisdom for women.
More recently, she wrote a book called Mother-Daughter Wisdom, which explores how the mother-daughter bond sets the stage for a woman’s health throughout her life. And in 2008, published The Secret Pleasures of Menopause, proving that the “The Big M” can actually be one the most pleasurable times of life for a woman!
This is actually only a snippet of Christiane’s Northrup’s incredible work. Read more about how Christiane’s work has directly affected me in Fearless Women.
Yay Christiane! Your work is outstanding and is healing women on such a deep level. The world is a better place because of your courage to speak and live your truth.